Friday, November 19, 2010

Embezzling Money

Here's another tidbit of info that's bothering me in the GAO report:

We examined 20 cases in which guardians stole or otherwise improperly obtained more than $5.4 million in assets from 158 incapacitated victims. In some of these cases, the guardians also physically neglected and abused the people they had been appointed to care for. We obtained our information from court documents, disciplinary records, and our own interviews and research.

I personally believe that the GAO should just walk into every bank (especially the small ones) then ask to see all their guardianships because I'm sure they can find that kind of money popping out all over the place THEN get the little people (or the elderly on Medicaid and in those OBRA trusts) out and away from the private paid guardian (and back into the loving arms of family and friends).  5.4 million is small potatotes compared to what a bank trustee can embezzle, I'm sure.  Especially when they're dealing with million dollar estates, you know what I mean?

My point is, if they started looking at the banks that hold these million dollar trusts then they wouldn't have to look at 158 victims, they'd be looking at a handful in order to find 5.4 million of 'improperly obtained' assets.  THEN they can go after the private paid guardian, the bank and lift those little people out too.  I just about saved them all (except the ugly family members, that's a more difficult problem, in my opinion).

I know, it seems all too logical in my simple brain and I shouldn't be critizing the GAO, it's a nice start.  They're recognizing that this is a multi-million dollar scam and that the guardian and their attorney's seem to be living high on the hog while their clients suffer.

No comments:

Post a Comment